Welcoming gestures




I received a call earlier today and the person called from an unknown number. Usually I try not to answer unknown numbers because I get the sense that the caller is hiding something from me, the caller then asked was this Real Divas are Large Boutique? I replied yes. Then he began to state that we were experiencing a bad connection. I told him that on my end I could hear him perfectly. He asked would I prefer to have him call back... at this point I'm not sure because I don't even know who he is or the reason for his call. Then he kind of gets upset because I'm like no that's ok we may speak now. He then hangs up. Now there are a few issues with this conversation.

1. When he called he asked was this the Boutique.

 This is a problem because as a professional if someone calls your business line, I feel that it is very important that you identify your business first and then thank them for calling and end with how may I help you.

2. He called from a block number.

I really feel like sometime we over dramatize security. For the most part when conducting business, your number is posted publicly anyway, because you would like others to be able to reach you. Blocking your number can give the call recipient a reason to be leery of the authenticity of your call.

3. His tone was very unwelcoming.

I cannot stress how important it is to smile when speaking over the phone. Believe it or not it can really be heard. As soon as he began to get upset it was heard over the phone.

4.Never hang up.

When calling someone doing business, NEVER HANG UP on them. It is never ok to hang up on a client unless they are being verbally abusive, even then I would tell the caller. Due to the content of this inappropriate conversation I am forced to terminate this call. Then I would hang up.

Today's Bottom Line:

When over the phone you are still representing your business. You are the live spoke person of your business, conduct yourself according. I find that in every bad scenario there is an angle for both parties to learn from it. When an issue is brought to your attention learn from it and thank those who shared it. Be polite. Your attitude should never be the reason why, a client leaves your business. It is very hard to change the heart of a disgruntled client. Not only can you lose a client but you lose your chance of obtaining a word of mouth referral.  

Please share in the love additions anything I may have missed or any suggestions for preventing this scenario at your place of business.



Comments

Popular Posts